Monday, November 9, 2009

We All Have Challenges

Millions of people don't struggle with an eating disorder, but millions do. You may wonder why I haven't broadened my blog to incorporate more than just eating disorders and that's okay ... I've wondered the same thing.

I was going to tear down this blog and create yet another one. Then I decided that this is what I know and I believe that whether individuals battle an eating disorder or not, they can at least relate to some of the things posted here. We all have our issues and those issues can often be similar.

You may be addicted to alcohol, prescription or nonprescription drugs, sex, food or you may suffer from depression, low self-esteem, anger problems, etc. As you read, I hope you can see how words written here may apply to your own struggle. But let me clarify one thing, and in doing so I am not minimizing anyone's challenge, food is necessary to live. It is needed for the body to function as it was created to function and without food, we die. Whereas, alcohol and drugs are not necessary for the body to work. Yes, because they are addictive, you may find that these things are in fact necessary for you to function, but if you strip those addictions away, you eventually will be able to go without. I speak from the perspective of a former alcoholic. I've been there. When it comes to food, however, we can't avoid it. It must be present in our daily lives no matter what. We can't strip it away as we work toward recovery. Therefore, this poses a unique challenge when compared with other illnesses or addictions.

Whatever the basis of your own battle, I want you to know that there is hope. There is the possibility of recovery and a future without dependence on anything other than what is necessary for daily living. I think it's important to remember that the battle is best won when you enlist the help of professionals and/or a support group, family members and friends. When you can open yourself up, be honest and make true attempts, success is possible.

But it isn't all sunshine and sparkles. Battles, struggles, addictions, challenges, issues, whatever you choose to call them, are not easily won or overcome. It takes time and it takes us being willing to fight. We must attempt to use skills to change behavior. We must tackle the negative voice that tells us we need our addiction/illness to survive. We must reiterate to ourselves that we are worth more. And we must ultimately do this one moment at a time, one day at a time. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day, even though sometimes we probably wish it had been so we could snap our fingers and all would be well.

So, you may be asking yourself, "How do I do this?," "What skills is she talking about?" or "Where can I get help?" Don't worry, I won't leave you hanging ... for long anyway. I will share with you in a new post some things I've learned, skills included, that may help you on your journey to overcome whatever illness, issue or addiction you may be facing. And for those of you who are not battling anything in particular, these skills also work in day-to-day living to keep us grounded, help us create boundaries, and possibly prevent us from ever falling prey to the negative mind.

For now, I must get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment